The know-how of IRIS in the field of laser technology, combined with the solid competence in terms of design and engineering of the production process, make the company an ideal partner to support those companies that intend to develop applications based on the use of laser and plasma technologies at all stages of the project.
WHAT WE DO
IRIS develops intelligent self-adaptive solutions for the efficient exploitation of laser processes: cutting, welding, direct deposition of metals. The attention focuses on the setting of the process, the characterization and validation with respect to the performance target and the ecological labelling.
Plasma treatment of fluids
IRIS has conceived, designed and patented the Greenplasma Cold treatment, that uses high voltage discharge but very short electrical pulses to treat any fluid. Applied to water, it eliminates bacteria, prevents the formation of algae, eliminates non-biodegradable pollutants. Applied to edible liquids (e.g. milk), thanks to the low temperature, it allows pasteurization ensuring the preservation of the organoleptic properties. Applied to gas, it facilitates many decontamination reactions (e.g. desulphurization) or carbon dioxide conversion (e.g. transformation of CO2 into Syngas).
IRIS has conceived, designed and patented, with the use of thermal plasma technology, a treatment that allows, due to the high temperatures reached (up to 5000 ° C), to transform any organic compound into gas, separating it from matrix. The system has great potential in circular economy applications as it allows the recovery of raw materials and energy, without harmful emissions and with minimal waste.
IRIS contributed to the development of an innovative 3D printing process involved in “Direct Energy Deposition” (DED) methodology. The process employs the laser to melt metal powders “on flight” during their descent path towards the surface. IRIS has therefore acquired an important specialization on additive manufacturing, developing particular attention on technological integration, the use of raw materials, the reduction of production times, a high flexibility in managing the overall dimensions, and increase in energy efficiency.
IRIS has launched, through Walden srl, a project to promote the production of clean energy thanks to the use of biomass, obtained from sustainable forest management, which is also supported by the diffusion of renewable energy. IRIS is partner of the European Greenchainsaw4life project for the organization of an efficient wood supply chain and integrated land management, with the aim of defining good practices useful for multiplying as much as possible these actions in support of the fight against climate change, a real planetary emergency.
IRIS collaborates with a team of architects, with whom develops projects capable of blending together technological skills, functional, sociological aspects and the organization and development of indoor and outdoor spaces, directing their energies especially towards those practices of regeneration of internal areas that they try to promote territorial development in small towns. The following are included:
- the ambitious technological project of Ambornetti Monviso Retreat,
- the construction of the Tum-In dairy in Ostana (recovery and requalification of a mountain pasture within the Rural Development Plan),
- The enhancement of the local wood supply chain (CASA and CoBoFi projects),
- The participation in a network made up of institutions and companies, including the topic of training (Polo del Legno Saluzzo and Valli del Monviso).
AN IDEAL PARTNER
One of the strengths of IRIS consists in being a small company, therefore simple and flexible, but with a powerful technological expertise. For these reasons IRIS is the ideal partner to accompany companies in the development of new projects.
IRIS can support all phases of a project: from the idea to the scouting, benchmarks, feasibility, development, validation, patent analysis and industrialization. For the most innovative applications, IRIS is also able to place the required activities in a funded cooperative research context, in order to minimize costs for customers.
- Robotic cell for laser processing equipped with 5kW fiber laser and beam switch for development of special applications of laser welding, powder metal deposition / cladding, surface/thermal treatments (2x2m working area)
- “Small1” robotic cell for pre-series and small productions laser welding (1x1m working area)
- Large dimension working cell with 5 axis of motion, of which 3 are cartesian (X,Y, Z), and 2 are polar axis U, and Additive manufacturing, laser repairing, thermal treatments with 3 kW fiber laser (4×1.5m working area)
- Plastic materials laser welding station with IR source 50W (working area 0.5×0.5m)
- TIG / MIG / MAG welding
- GTV metal powder dispenser equipped with sieve for dust recovery
- Station for metallography
- Laboratory for thermochemical conversion processes (10kW)
- Plasma and electrical impulse treatment process development laboratory (120kV)
- Chemical and microbiological laboratory
Feasibility and development of laser or hybrid technology application to the welding processes of any combination of materials: steel, light alloys, special alloys, thermoplastic, multimaterial.
Additive Manufacturing and laser coatings
Feasibility and development of special applications of Direct Energy Deposition technology of conventional or special materials.
Laser heat treatments
Feasibility and development of laser heat treatments.
Feasibility and development of surface, liquid plasma treatment processes.
Feasibility and development of degradation / pyrolysis / gasification processes of organic substances by means of thermal plasma / heating aimed at recovering raw materials from composite matrices.